Northwest of Vietnam is always the wonderful choice for motorcycle touring in northern Vietnam. It is not only famous for amazing view of rice terrace fields (in Sapa and Mu Cang Chai…) but also attracts tourists with its colorful culture of hill tribes; besides, a motorcycle tour to Dien Bien Phu will give you chances to learn more about the Indochina war and understand how hero the Vietnamese people are! This 9 day motorcycle tour around northwest Vietnam offers you the full view of the northern mountain area of Vietnam and for sure it is a different Vietnam that many tourists who can not ride a motorbike couldn’t have chance to experience.
Start the motorcycle tour from Hanoi center after the rush hours, or take a bus/taxi to the outskirt of Hanoi where the traffic look better so that you can have best confident to start the great trip to northwest of Vietnam. 170 Km from Hanoi to Mai Chau is not a long ride so we can motorcycle slowly on the small roads going through the countryside to keep us safe and feel the different Hanoi. Especially after lunch in Hoa Binh province, we will have enjoyable motorbike trip through mountains to Mai Chau valley, motorbike ridding along the Da river is the highlight of the day. The Da River lake looks like Halong bay with hundreds of green islands on.
We will be Mai Chau at the sunset.
Overnight in Mai Chau – Home stay
Day 2: Mai Chau – Nghia Lo – 208 Km
This is a full day motorbike ride up and down hill to Nghia Lo town Yen Bai province. We will ride on some small mountain passes and stop to visit some village of the Hmong and the Moung people along the way.
Overnight in Nghia Lo – Hotel
Day 3: Nghia Lo – Mu Cang Chai – Than Uyen – 136 Km
It is a short motorbike ride but it could be the most enjoyable day. The road is almost quiet, smooth and the view is amazing. We will see plenty of terrace field, the local hill tribe can plant the rice on every piece of land on the high mountain. Mu Cang Chai is one of the best regions for motorbike touring in North Vietnam. We will finish the day early in Than Uyen town.
Overnight in Than Uyen – Hotel
Day 4: Than Uyen Motorcycle Ride to Dien Bien Phu – 187 Km
After breakfast, we keep motorcycle touring to northwest Vietnam via the Hoang Lien Son National park we will get chance to see more different ethnic people and different mountain view- we will see less rice fields but more green tea fields. Finish the motorcycle tour to Dien Bien Phu at 4.30 PM check in the hotel room and have rest.
Overnight in Dien Bien Phu town – Hotel
Day 5: Dien Bien Phu Motorcycle Tour to Sin Ho – 160 Km
We will spend a half day to discover Dien Bien Phu, we will take some visit to some historical sites to understand more about the Indochina War and learn more about the Dien Bien Phu battle – The last, the most important and most famous battle between the Vietnamese and the French troops. After lunch in the city, get back on the bikes again and keep the Northwest Vietnam motorcycle tour to Sin Ho. We will be in Sin Ho at 5.00 PM.
Overnight in Sin Ho town – Hotel
Another short motorbike ride to Sapa but it is also the highlight of the Northern Vietnam motorcycle trip. The motorbike ride is up and up and up to the “heaven gate”- the border between Lao Cai and Lai Chau, it is about 2000 meters above sea level. From here we can have great photo album of green mountain with blue sky. We will be in Sapa at lunch time. In the afternoon, you can have rest in hotel, do some short walk around villages of hill tribes or take a short Sapa motorbike tour along the Muong Hoa valley .
Overnight in Sapa
Day 7: Sapa – Luc Yen – 209 Km
It is a quite big day. After saying good bye to Sapa town, we will be back on the bikes again and float all the way down to Lao Cai city. The 40 km road down from Sapa offers some imposing mountain view and lovely villages of the local tribes. Stop the bikes at Lao Cai city to enjoy tasty local café and seeing China from the border. And then we flow the road No 70 down to Yen Bai province, the road is beautiful but you will see more traffic here. We finish the ride at a peaceful village of the Tay people in Luc Yen district at around 5.00 PM.
Overnight in Luc Yen – Home stay
Day 8: Luc Yen – Thac Ba Lake – 80 Km
It is an easy and enjoyable motorcycle tour to Thac Ba lake today. The trip is along the lake bank from the beginning to the end. The road is small, quiet through the countryside but it is bumpy somewhere. The short but great motorcycle tour will end at Vu linh village – the village of the Dzao people which locates nearby the beautiful Thac Ba lake. After lunch with the local family we will have boat trip around the lake.
Day 9: Thac Ba Motorcycle Ride Back to Hanoi – 170 Km
We start the day at around 8.00 AM. We will keep riding along the lake and choose some small roads which go through some green tea fields. It may last longer but there will be more things to see and less traffic on. We’ll try to be at Hanoi before rush hours and end perfectly the Northwest Vietnam Motorcycle tour!
Our tour price is based on NUMBER OF GUESTS (the more people in the group, the less money each person will pay) and TYPE OF BIKES (the smaller bike you take, the less money you will pay). Please contact us for the right price, or you can view the sample price below for the regular tours North Vietnam by 125cc – 150cc bikes:
- Tour for group of private solo rider: 200 USD/Day
- Tour for group of 2 riders: 150 USD/Day/Person
- Tour for group of 3 riders: 140 USD/Day/Person
- Tour for group of 4 – 10 riders: 130 USD/Day/Person
- Airport pick up/drop off, Support vehicle or Air tickets are not included but they can be arranged depending on your request with the extra cost
- The extra cost to upgrade to Honda CRF250L is $40 USD/Bike/Day.
- The extra cost for the backup vehicle + driver is $150 USD/Day.
- The prices listed above are only for the Northern Loop Vietnam motorcycle tours, Other special motorcycle tours on Ho Chi Minh trail or crossing the border to Laos or Cambodia… will cost more. Please contact us for more details.
- The tour price can be different depending on the low/high tourist season or other special requests, Please contact us to get the right price of tours.
Tour price includes:
- Experienced English speaking tour guides (2 tour guides/mechanic for a group from 5 riders)
- Quality Honda XR150L or Honda CRF250L or other bikes we have with all fuel
- Quality Helmets/Gloves/Knee and elbow pads/Rain jackets/pants
- All meals on tour (All breakfasts, lunches and dinners with local Vietnamese food)
- Accommodation on tour (twin share room in standard hotel or stay at homestay as mentioned in itinerary)
- Boat rides on lakes or rivers as mentioned in itinerary
- All entrance fee / Permits
- Hotel pick up/drop off before and after the tour
- Video of the trip made by updated GoPro
Tour price excludes:
- Medical insurance
- Bike damages
- Personal expense
- Air tickets and visa to Vietnam
- To secure your bookings we require a minimal of 30 % deposit. Balance can be made upon arrival
- The rider is responsible for any bank charges. ( surcharge 3,5% if you pay by credit card )
- The balance can be paid by cash or credit on the first day of the trip
- If you cancel the Vietnam motorbike tour before the departure date, you will lose 100% of the deposit.
- If you cancel the tour after the departure date, you will lose 100% of the total cost/ fee of the tour for any reason.
- After departure, NO REFUNDS will be given for any reason, if you cancel the tour.
- A Damage Cost deposit of US$ 100 – 1,000 or more is required for each motorcycle for using in the guided or self-guided motorcycle tours. In case of a self-caused accident, your own participation is up to US$ 2,000 or more.
“We guarantee to deliver the best balance between cost and quality of tours”