Buying or Renting a motorbike in Vietnam is always a common question from domestic and foreign tourists, especially those who are visiting Vietnam for the first time. Let’s answer that question with Vietnam Motorbike Tour Expert through the article below.
Benefits of Renting a motorbike and buying a motorbike in Vietnam
Benefits of buying a motorbike
- Choose your favorite motorbike: You will have the initiative to choose the model that matches your standards.
- Upgrade vehicle equipment: Be free to change parts and upgrade them.
- Long-term economic benefits: If you stay in Vietnam for a long time, it is certainly more profitable to buy a motorbike than to rent a motorbike in terms of economy.
Benefits of renting a motorbike
- No financial worries: There will be no concern about finance to purchasing a motorbike and maintenance costs as well as costs incurred.
- Never get bored: There will be new motorbike models with lots of new features every season. Motorbike rental is a great option to experience different special motorbike models.
- Insurance – Warranty: If the mechanic breaks down during the rental period, the owner will be responsible and you only have to bear part of the cost.
- Less Cost: Pay only for the rental cost.
- You can buy after experience: When using the rental motorbike, you will have the time to experience and decide whether to buy the motorbike that you like.
Why should you rent a tourist motorbike instead of buying
First: buying a motorbike will depend on how long you plan to stay in Vietnam and how often you ride. Buying a motorbike is only really suitable for those who intend to live long-term in Vietnam (about more than 3 years and often use motorbikes). However, not all foreigners living in Vietnam can afford motorbikes. They must adapt some conditions such as having a legal employment contract, or having a letter of recommendation from a recruitment agency.
Secondly: if you don’t understand Vietnam’s traffic laws, the possibility of being fined by the police is very high. So, if you want to try new experiences, you can choose the option motorbike for rent to go sightseeing or go to the suburbs instead of buying a motorbike.
Motorbike rental in Vietnam for travel: is it safe?
First of all, according to Vietnamese law, foreigners can legally rent vehicles such as motorbikes in Vietnam, as long as they have a driving license. Therefore, legally, renting a motorbike in Vietnam is completely safe.
Secondly, motorbike rental through reputable websites or stores for travel will be safer because you can be completely assured of the quality of the vehicle you rent. Moreover, these stores will often have the accompanying services such as detailed instructions on how to use a motorbike, procedures for applying for a foreign driver’s license, some laws and tips. It may cost more, but it’s necessary for your safety.
Usually, the shop owner will ask you to deposit money, passport or both to rent a tourist motorbike at the shop. Deposits range from 4-5 million VND (about 150-250 USD) depending on the price of each motorbike you choose. Therefore, finding a reputable motorbike rental address is the first thing to do to avoid being scammed.
There are two types of motorbikes used in Vietnam, including manual transmission and automatic transmission (or scooter). According to many opinions, riding a scooter will be easier than other vehicles, especially for those who are new to driving. However, you have to pay attention to one thing: scooters will be suitable for flat terrain like in Vietnamese cities. And the gear motorbike is suitable for high terrain like mountains. The rental price of a scooter will be higher than a manual transmission and so will the deposit.
How much does it cost to rent a motorbike in Vietnam
Vietnam has different forms of motorbike rental depending on the store, the type of vehicle and the length of time you rent it. You can rent by the hour, by day or by month. The longer the motorbike rental period, the cheaper the price.
- Scooter rental: The price is based on the time and the length of the rental so please contact Vietnam Motorbike Tour Expert for more details
- Motorbike rental: The price is based on the type of motorbikes and the length of the rental so please contact Vietnam Motorbike Tour Expert for more details
You can negotiate a better price if you want to rent a motorbike long-term.
Do you need a motorbike license to travel in Vietnam?
According to Vietnam’s traffic laws, having a valid driving license is mandatory for all motorbike riders, including those who opt for renting a motorbike The majority of motorcycles in Vietnam have a capacity of 125cc or higher, which means you need a proper driver’s license to rent and ride a motorbike in the country.
For foreigners residing in Vietnam, it is possible to convert their national driver’s license to a Vietnamese driver’s license if it covers the necessary vehicle categories. However, if the license does not include authorization for two-wheelers, passing a test is required. The cost of taking a license test in Vietnam typically ranges from 300,000-500,000 VND (15-25 USD). Alternatively, there are service companies that offer assistance with the process for a higher fee, around 1,600,000 VND (70 USD).
It’s worth noting that converting or obtaining a Vietnamese driver’s license is a more suitable option for individuals planning to stay in Vietnam for an extended period. For foreign tourists visiting Vietnam for a shorter duration, this process can be excessively complex and time-consuming.
Things you should keep in mind when renting a motorbike to travel in Vietnam?
A reliable tourist renting motorbike shop and how to choose a suitable motorbike in Vietnam is one of the most common concerns of tourists.
The procedure for renting a motorbike in Vietnam is quite simple. There are a lot of renting motorbike shops for travel throughout the provinces. The lessor will ask you to provide some necessary information including name, nationality, hotel address, phone number to make a rental agreement. Besides, you also have to deposit some money and a passport (or passport copy). After that, the owner will guide and take you to choose a motorbike.
Although the procedure is not complicated, there is still a risk of being scam. So we’ll give you some tips to reduce the risk:
- You should search for a list of trusted shops, read reviews or ask people who have experience in renting motorbikes in Vietnam.
- When you decide to rent a tourist motorbike, be sure to carefully review the store’s address, contact information, take a photo of that person and double-check the terms of your motorbike rental contract.
- Check your motorbike carefully before starting the journey.
- You should go with a native speaker for the first time in case the seller is not good at English. Besides, traveling with a local also helps you feel more secure, even cheaper and they know how to check motorbikes.
- The renting motorbike prices are depending on the type of motorbike, the time you rent and the longer time you rent for, the cheaper price you can get.
What to check when renting a tourist motorbike?
If you don’t know any locals or friends with experience in renting motorbikes in Vietnam, here’s a checklist to make sure your motorbike rental is safe and legal.
- Check the license plate: if it’s securely mounted and clearly visible.
- Check the gas tank: and walk around the motorcycle for any oil or water leaks. Make sure that the fuel tank is full or at least above the red line.
- Check tires: This is the only part of the motorcycle that is in contact with the road surface. It is essential to check tire pressure due to the hot weather and high tire pressure can cause a tire explosion. While an under-inflated tire will reduce the vehicle’s capacity and reduce fuel consumption. If the tires are worn, it will reduce friction with the road surface, causing slippery, very dangerous for vehicle drivers.
- Check the engine: Start your motorbike and take a test drive around the block. If your motorcycle is reliable, it will start and drive smoothly.
- Check other part: the turn signals, lights, brakes.
The above article is a summary of information about the dilemma between buying or renting a motorbike in Vietnam. If you intend to stay in Vietnam for a long time, buy them for maximum benefit. If you are only traveling or staying in Vietnam for a short time, renting a motorbike is the best method for you. Hopefully, the above article will provide enough knowledge for you to choose the most suitable solution for yourself.
Contact Info Vietnam Motorbike tour Expert:
- Head Office: 264 Nguyen Trai str, Hanoi
- Bike Shop: 290 Nguyen Trai str, Hanoi
- Tel/WhatsApp: +84.979884588
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Motorbiketourexpert/