Currently, the trend of using electric motorbikes is increasing. Manufacturers are always researching and trying to come up with models that are suitable for the consumers. However, electric motorcycles are not only a vehicle used for daily life, but also for travel. Here is Vietnam Motorbike Tour‘s answer about electric motorbikes should be used for traveling or not.
Is It possible to use Electric motorcycles for long-distance ride
Electric motorcycles are always designed in a compact and lightweight design, convenient for you to move around everywhere in the city. You can park anywhere and at any time, comfortably admire the poetic scenery of the countryside and surrounding plants.
However, if you want to use electric motorcycles for long distance travel, there will be some consideration with a few factors. Electric motorcycles are different from traditional gasoline powered motorbikes you normally see on the market today. It has similar characteristics to conventional motorcycles but is equipped with an electric motorcycles with a capacity not exceeding 4000W and the maximum speed must not exceed 50 km/h.
Benefit of using electric motorcycles:
- Low maintenance and use costs: Electric motorcycles run on electricity and do not use oil, spark plugs, and air filters, the maintenance costs are minimized. No need to refill gas or change oil will save you a lot of money.
- Start the electric motorcycle quietly due to the use of the electric motor.
- The weight of the electric scooter is extremely light.
- Contributing to environmental protection, reducing a large amount of CO2 emissions.
However there are also some downsides that you must consider:
- Battery charging time is quite long
- The price is quite expensive compared to electric bicycles
- Unable to travel long distances in a long time
- Can’t go at a high speed
Things you need to keep in mind before going on a tour by an electric motorbike
Here are some small elements you should notice when starting a journey with electric motorcycles:
- Check all equipment parts of the vehicle carefully, install additional lights on the front wheel for a better view.
- When using electric motorbikes on highways, you need to focus on observing the surroundings, to ensure safety as well as enjoy new experiences.
- It is necessary to review the route before starting the trip, predict and consider the surrounding external conditions to have the best preparation and backup.
- On any journey, do not forget to bring your identification documents, in case unexpected situations happen and these important items will help you find help or easily receive support from the authorities.
- Another factor that cannot be forgotten is snacks and water, this is the source of energy to help you have good health to conquer every journey.
Besides all the elements above, here are 3 main factors you should pay attention to to make the trip safe and exciting.
The maximum distance that an electric motorcycles can ride
The average maximum speed of electric motorbikes falls between 50 and 60 km/h. However, the maximum speed of an electric motorbike depends on many other factors such as the vehicle’s engine, the weight of the driver, the good or bad terrain.
Electric motorcycles are equipped with a set of 4 batteries 48V-12Ah, they can travel a distance of 25 to 40 km when traveling at maximum speed. If the battery capacity is 20Ah, you can go from 45 to 50 km.
Some electric vehicle brands do not use batteries but use Lithium batteries to power electric vehicles. This kind of electric motorbike’s battery with higher travel speed and distance is specially designed for speed enthusiasts with a maximum speed of up to 80 km/h.
Find a charging station for the trip
Make sure that on the road there will be a place that has a charging service, and to ensure your fun is not interrupted, bring a backup battery. When the motorbike runs out of electricity, you won’t be worried about getting a problem with the bike and you can be assured to travel with the electric motorbike.
Currently, VinFast is the only electric motorcycles company that has a developed charging station system with a full range of charging ports. This network of charging stations has been present in 63 provinces and cities nationwide.
Here are the locations where VinFast electric motorbike charging stations are installed nationwide:
- Parking lot, bus station
- Rest station, petrol station
- Shopping mall
- Apartment and office buildings
- Highways and National Highways
- Other suitable locations nationwide.
Bring a spare battery for your motorbike
For electric motorcycles, a spare battery is an indispensable item when traveling a long distance. Follow these small notes to keep the electric motorbike’s battery more durable during use:
- Use only original chargers from the brand.
- It is recommended to charge about 10 hours in the first 3 charges. From the following charges, users only need to charge enough time according to the recommended parameters according to each vehicle type.
- Charge the electric motorcycle battery when the remaining battery capacity is lower than 20%, do not continue to charge more when seeing the message that the battery is 100% full.
- The order of correct operation steps is:
- Plugging in: Plug the charger into the motorbike first, then plug the plug into the electrical outlet.
- Unplugging: Turn off the engine, unplug the power plug, then unplug the charger.
- After plugging in the charger, wait at least 30 seconds if you want to turn on the bike.
- After unplugging the charger from the motorbike, if you want to plug it back in, you should wait for about 1 minute.
- After fully charging, it is recommended to wait for the battery temperature to return to normal before using it.
- Never charge the battery in flammable or explosive places or unstable and dangerous environments.
- During the charging process, if a strange smell is detected, the user should stop charging the battery immediately.
- Store batteries properly to preserve battery life. In case of long-term non-use (over 14 days), users should remove the battery from the vehicle and recharge it regularly to maintain at least 50% battery capacity.
Experience of choosing electric motorbikes
Whether you decide to buy or rent an electric motorcycles, you should consider these following factors:
- Choose a genuine electric motorbike: It is advisable to choose a genuine electric motorcycles, make sure that the quality of the vehicle is comparable to electric motorcycles with widespread distribution units in the market that are not guaranteeing the quality of the vehicles as well as their engines.
- Attention to warranty: On the current market, most electric scooters have a warranty period of about 3 years, depending on the brand and retailer. Therefore, you should choose to buy or rent in a reputable place with reliable warranty and repair policies.
- Periodic vehicle inspection: To ensure that the vehicle is always operating in the best condition, you should conduct periodic inspection and maintenance of the vehicle to avoid damage. Normally, you should bring your electric motorbike in for maintenance every 3-6 months.
In order for the process of use to be smooth and comfortable, you must know how to use the vehicle correctly:
- Wash the electric motorbike properly: Limit the amount of water that flows into the electrical parts of the vehicle such as the engine during the washing process. Remember to remove the battery before washing, in the process of washing absolutely do not use soap or detergent to wash the electric motorcycles. Dry the plug of the electrical system after washing to avoid absolutely these parts getting wet because it can rust and affect the electric motorbike’s charging.
- Do not leave the vehicle in the sun for too long:
- If you leave the electric motorbike in the sun at a high temperature will cause the battery to drain quickly, leading to a battery bottle, reducing the life of the electric scooter. Not only affects the engine life, the outside paint will also fade quickly. When the tires are in contact with the road surface, they will be subjected to a huge amount of heat, causing the electric tires to become hot and the pressure in the tires will increase. This leads to tire inflation and the consequence is explosion.
- Use protective measures in case you have to leave your electric motorbike in the sun without shelter. Enhance vehicle maintenance and check tires regularly to detect vehicle abnormalities as well as avoid unfortunate circumstances. You should also use measures to cover the vehicle such as newspapers, clothes, tarpaulins, towels.
- Use the correct electric motorbike charger when buying: do not use other chargers or chargers of unknown origin.
- Avoid traveling at maximum speed for long periods of time: The faster you run in a long time, the more air resistance will increase, this will cause more fuel to be wasted. Moreover, driving at a lower speed can also help you spend less time stopping to recharge your batteries during your trip.
Above are all things related to Electric Motorcycles and the question Can Electric Motorcycles Be Used In Motorcycle Tours? Hope this article will provide you with all the necessary knowledge. If you have any questions, please contact us for the best advice.