With the length of more than 1000 km and consisting many parts, plenty of the Ho Chi Minh Trail Motorcycle tours are provided by Motorbike tour operators in Vietnam. We designed some different itineraries on this trail but this 8 Day motorcycle tour Ho Chi Minh trail is the one we highly recommend because it doesn’t take too long or too short, It is on the most beautiful and quiet part and especially the tour offers a short ride up to the northern mountain area where you can see many different things that you will never see a long the trail.
Day 1: Hanoi – Phu Yen : 160 Km
Start the first day at around 9 AM, make the day easy with the start from the western outskirt of Hanoi where the traffic is less busy. We will take small countryside roads to be away from the crazy local traffic, after one hour ride will be in the rural area to the west of Hanoi, the It’s time to enjoy the different Vietnam with the hidden charm from rustic villages. The first day motorcycle tour in Vietnam becomes more and more enjoyable in the afternoon when we get closer and higher up to the mountain area in northern Vietnam.
We will be in the peaceful town of Phu Yen – Son La province and end the first day ride at 4:30 PM. Overnight in Hotel.
This is an easy and enjoyable ride, After getting out of the town we will ride on the winding roads along the Da river and then up and down ride through mountain passes until Moc Chau plateau where we stop for lunch and then cross the Hua Tat pass – it is also the very old road built by the French so the road is almost empty and offers nice view. Down to Mai Chau at 4.30 PM. Home stay with the Thai people.
Day 3: Mai Chau – Tan Ky : 290 Km
Start the day with a local coffee and enjoy the view of green mountain and rice fields from the Thai’s stilt house. After breakfast and saying good bye to the peaceful village of Mai Chau, we keep riding on a small, spectacular and paved trail along the Ma river until Cam Thuy town where we stop for lunch. Hit the historical Ho Chi Minh trail and then stay all the way to Tan Ky town where we spend the night in a hotel.
Tan Ky is a very small town located in two sides of the Ho Chi Minh road, It is know as the starting point of the Ho Chi Minh trail in north Vietnam where the northern Vietnamese troops start the long trip to the DMZ and south Vietnam, with only some thousands of people this is good chance to experience the daily life of people in remote and quiet area.
Enjoy simple breakfast served by local people and then keep motorcycle touring on Ho Chi Minh trail, This part of the trail is very smooth so the ride will be very relaxed, the scenery will be more and more beautiful when we get closer to the Phong Nha – Ke Bang National Park – the UNESCO World Natural Heritage site. The karst formation of Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park has evolved since the Paleozoic (some 400 million years ago) and so is the oldest major karst area in Asia. Subject to massive tectonic changes, the park’s karst landscape is extremely complex with many geographic features of considerable significance. The vast area, extending to the border of the Lao People’s Democratic Republic, contains spectacular formations including 65 km of caves and underground rivers.
If we can arrive Phong Nha at around 3:30 PM, we will have a boat trip along the river to some limestone caves. The boat trip takes 2 hours.
Overnight in Phong Nha – Hotel stay.
From Phong Nha, the Ho Chi Minh Trail is divided into 2 branches one in the eastern side and another one is in the western side. Vietnam Motorbike Tour Expert recommends to ride on the western Ho Chi Minh trail. The trail goes through the National park of Phong Nha – Ke Bang, in more than 200 km, you will just see few other motorbikes but a lot of beautiful mountain view. Especially, we will get chance to visit the former US Marine Base with tunnels, Air base and a interesting museum that is newly built.
This western Ho Chi Minh trail motorcycle ride is for sure the highlight of the trip.
Day 6: Khe Sanh – Vinh Moc – Hue : 180 Km
The motorbike ride today is mostly from the west to the east. After breakfast, we will ride along the 17th parallel – the former border between the north and south of Vietnam. We will do some stops to visit the famous historical vestiges such as: Hien Luong Bridge on the Ben Hai river – the border between the North and South Vietnam and Vinh Moc tunnel…
After lunch we will join the high way No 1 and experience the adventure motorcycle ride in the busy traffic. We will be in the beautiful city of Hue at 5.
Overnight in Hue – Hotel Stay
After breakfast, taking a bus or having a motorcycle ride around Hue in the morning to see some famous attraction such as: Citadel, Famous temples/Pagodas and boat trip on the Perfume River. After lunch, free time relaxing, free to choose your dinner
Overnight in Hue – Hotel stay
Day 8: Hue – Hoi An : 170 Km
The last day is the easiest day. Instead of riding motorcycle on busy highway No 1, we will get out to the eastern side of Hue city to have more enjoyable motorcycle tour along the coastline, through some fishing villages, coastal roads and cross the famous Hai Van Pass – the most beautiful pass in central Vietnam. The Ho Chi Minh trail motorcycle tour will end in Hoi An at about 4.00 PM, check in the room and say good bye to the Vietnam Motorbike Tour Expert team!
Our tour price is based on NUMBER OF GUESTS (the more people in the group, the less money each person will pay) and TYPE OF BIKES (the smaller bike you take, the less money you will pay). Please contact us for the right price, or you can view the sample price below for the regular tours North Vietnam by 125cc – 150cc bikes:
- Tour for group of private solo rider: 200 USD/Day
- Tour for group of 2 riders: 150 USD/Day/Person
- Tour for group of 3 riders: 140 USD/Day/Person
- Tour for group of 4 – 10 riders: 130 USD/Day/Person
- Airport pick up/drop off, Support vehicle or Air tickets are not included but they can be arranged depending on your request with the extra cost
- The extra cost to upgrade to Honda CRF250L is $40 USD/Bike/Day.
- The extra cost for the backup vehicle + driver is $150 USD/Day.
- The prices listed above are only for the Northern Loop Vietnam motorcycle tours, Other special motorcycle tours on Ho Chi Minh trail or crossing the border to Laos or Cambodia… will cost more. Please contact us for more details.
- The tour price can be different depending on the low/high tourist season or other special requests, Please contact us to get the right price of tours.
Tour price includes:
- Experienced English speaking tour guides (2 tour guides/mechanic for a group from 5 riders)
- Quality Honda XR150L or Honda CRF250L or other bikes we have with all fuel
- Quality Helmets/Gloves/Knee and elbow pads/Rain jackets/pants
- All meals on tour (All breakfasts, lunches and dinners with local Vietnamese food)
- Accommodation on tour (twin share room in standard hotel or stay at homestay as mentioned in itinerary)
- Boat rides on lakes or rivers as mentioned in itinerary
- All entrance fee / Permits
- Hotel pick up/drop off before and after the tour
- Video of the trip made by updated GoPro
Tour price excludes:
- Medical insurance
- Bike damages
- Personal expense
- Air tickets and visa to Vietnam
- To secure your bookings we require a minimal of 30 % deposit. Balance can be made upon arrival
- The rider is responsible for any bank charges. ( surcharge 3,5% if you pay by credit card )
- The balance can be paid by cash or credit on the first day of the trip
- If you cancel the Vietnam motorbike tour before the departure date, you will lose 100% of the deposit.
- If you cancel the tour after the departure date, you will lose 100% of the total cost/ fee of the tour for any reason.
- After departure, NO REFUNDS will be given for any reason, if you cancel the tour.
- A Damage Cost deposit of US$ 100 – 1,000 or more is required for each motorcycle for using in the guided or self-guided motorcycle tours. In case of a self-caused accident, your own participation is up to US$ 2,000 or more.
“We guarantee to deliver the best balance between cost and quality of tours”