With the length of more than 1000 km and consisting many parts, plenty of the Ho Chi Minh Trail Motorcycle tours are provided by Vietnam motorbike tours organizers. We designed some different itineraries on this trail but this 8 Day motorcycle tour Ho Chi Minh trail is the one we highly recommend because the tour take you off the beaten tracks to some beautiful parts in North Vietnam and it also covers the most interesting parts of the Ho Chi Minh trail from Hanoi to Central Vietnam – Da Nang including many interesting visits to historical sites in the DMZ. It’s also a mix of on and offroad ride so this tour is one of our best in our Vietnam Motorcycle tours collection.
Day 1: Hanoi – Phu Yen : 160 Km
Start the first day at around 9 AM, make the day easy with the start from the western outskirt of Hanoi where the traffic is less busy. We will take small countryside roads to be away from the crazy local traffic, after one hour ride will be in the rural area to the west of Hanoi, the It’s time to enjoy the different Vietnam with the hidden charm from rustic villages. The first day motorcycle tour in Vietnam becomes more and more enjoyable in the afternoon when we get closer and higher up to the mountain area in north Vietnam. We can have a great fun offroad motorcycle tour crossing some villages nearby Phu Yen.
We will be in the peaceful town of Phu Yen – Son La province and end the first day ride at 4:30 PM. Overnight in Hotel.
Day 2: Phu Yen – Mai Chau: 160 Km
This is an enjoyable ride and it could be the best day of this Motorcycle tour Ho Chi Minh trail, After getting out of the town we will ride on the winding roads along the Da river and then up and down ride through mountain passes until Moc Chau plateau where we can enjoy a fun offroad motorcycle touring through some tea fields and then crossing the Hua Tat pass – it is also the very old road built by the French so the road is almost empty and offers nice view. After lunch, we can also have more offroad motorbike ride up and down on the hills near Mai Chau or we can have a relax ride on the countryside back roads down to Mai Chau. We end this great day at 4.30 PM. Home stay with the Thai people.
Day 3: Mai Chau – Tan Ky : 290 Km
Start the day with a local coffee and enjoy the view of green mountain and rice fields from the Thai’s stilt house. After breakfast and saying good bye to the peaceful village of Mai Chau, We will continue this motorcycle tour Ho Chi Minh trail with an offroad motorbike tour around Mai Chau and then we keep riding on a small, spectacular and paved trail along the Ma river until Cam Thuy town where we stop for lunch. Hit the historical Ho Chi Minh trail and then stay all the way to Tan Ky town where we spend the night in a hotel.
Tan Ky is a very small town located in two sides of the Ho Chi Minh road, It is know as the starting point of the Ho Chi Minh trail in north Vietnam where the northern Vietnamese troops start the long trip to the DMZ and south Vietnam, with only some thousands of people this is good chance to experience the daily life of people in remote and quiet area.
Day 4: Tan Ky – Phong Nha: 280 Km
Enjoy simple breakfast served by local people and then keep motorcycle touring on Ho Chi Minh trail, This part of the trail is very smooth so the ride will be very relaxed, the scenery will be more and more beautiful when we get closer to the Phong Nha – Ke Bang National Park – the UNESCO World Natural Heritage site. The karst formation of Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park has evolved since the Paleozoic (some 400 million years ago) and so is the oldest major karst area in Asia. Subject to massive tectonic changes, the park’s karst landscape is extremely complex with many geographic features of considerable significance. The vast area, extending to the border of the Lao People’s Democratic Republic, contains spectacular formations including 65 km of caves and underground rivers. The ride in the after noon closed to the Phong Nha National park could be the highlight of this Vietnam motorcycle tour Ho Chi Minh trail.
If we can arrive Phong Nha at around 3:30 PM, we will have a boat trip along the river to some limestone caves. The boat trip takes 2 hours.
Overnight in Phong Nha – Hotel stay.
Day 5: Phong Nha – Khe Sanh: 220 Km
From Phong Nha, the Ho Chi Minh Trail is divided into 2 branches one in the eastern side and another one is in the western side. Vietnam Motorbike Tour Expert recommends to ride on the western Ho Chi Minh trail. The trail goes through the National park of Phong Nha – Ke Bang, in more than 200 km, you will just see few other motorbikes but a lot of beautiful mountain view. Especially, we will get chance to visit the former US Marine Base with tunnels, Air base and a interesting museum that can make you understand clearer about the Vietnam war and you may love Vietnam better.
This motorcycle ride on the western side of the Ho Chi Minh trail must be the best day of this Vietnam Motorcycle tour Ho Chi Minh trail.
Day 6: Khe Sanh – Vinh Moc – Hue : 180 Km
The motorbike ride today is mostly from the west to the east through the DMZ with alot of visits to historical sites so it’s the most informative day of this Vietnam motorcycle tour. After breakfast, we will ride along the 17th parallel – the former border between the north and south of Vietnam. We will do some stops to visit the famous historical vestiges such as: Hien Luong Bridge on the Ben Hai river – the border between the North and South Vietnam and Vinh Moc tunnel…
After lunch we will join the high way No 1 and experience the adventure motorcycle ride in the busy traffic. We will be in the beautiful city of Hue at 5.
Overnight in Hue – Hotel Stay
Day 7: Discovering Hue by Motorcycle / Bus
It’s a full day touring around Hue to discover the hidden charm of this beautiful city. It a noon riding day but it’s also another highlight of this Vietnam motorcycle tour Ho Chi Minh trail. After breakfast, taking a bus or having a motorcycle ride around Hue in the morning to see some famous attraction such as: Citadel, Famous temples/Pagodas and boat trip on the Perfume River. After lunch, free time relaxing, free to choose your dinner
Overnight in Hue – Hotel stay
Day 8: Hue – Hoi An : 170 Km
The last day is the easiest day. Instead of riding motorcycle on busy highway No 1, we will get out to the eastern side of Hue city to have more enjoyable motorcycle tour along the coastline, through some fishing villages, coastal roads and cross the famous Hai Van Pass – the most beautiful pass in central Vietnam. This 8 day motorcycle tour Ho Chi Minh trail will end in Hoi An at about 4.00 PM, check in the room and say good bye to the Vietnam Motorbike Tour Expert team and then enjoy your time in Hoi An.
Our tour price is determined by two factors: the NUMBER OF RIDERS (the more people in the group, the lower the cost per rider) and the TYPE OF BIKES (choosing a smaller bike results in a reduced price). For more information and accurate pricing, please contact us. Below, you can find a sample price for our regular North Vietnam motorbike tour using 150cc bikes
- Tour for a group of 1 (solo rider): 210 USD/Day
- Tour for a group of 2 riders: 160 USD/Day/Person
- Tour for a group of 3 riders: 150 USD/Day/Person
- Tour for group of 4 – 10 riders: 140 USD/Day/Person
- We can tailor a tour to your preferences and desired dates. Just share your expectations with us, and we will create your private tour
- The tour price does not include support vehicle, air tickets, or airport pick-up/drop-off… but we can arrange these services for an additional cost if needed
- We do have other bigger bikes for your tours, Please contact us for more details
- The prices listed above are only for the Northern Vietnam motorcycle tours, Other special motorcycle tours on the Ho Chi Minh trail or crossing the border to Laos or Cambodia… will cost more. Please contact us for more details.
- The tour price can be changed depending on the low/high tourist season or other special requests, Please contact us to get the right price for your tour.
Tour price includes:
- Experienced English-speaking tour guides (+ mechanic)
- Quality Honda XR150L/CRF250L/CRF300L or other bikes with all fuel
- Quality Helmets/Gloves/Knee, elbow pads/Rain jackets/pants
- All meals on tour (All breakfasts, lunches, and dinners with local Vietnamese food)
- All accommodation on tour (twin share room in a hotel or stay at a homestay as mentioned in itinerary)
- Boat rides on lakes or crossing rivers as mentioned in the itinerary
- All entrance fees / Permits
- Hotel pick up/drop off before and after the tour
- Quality video of the trip
- Souvenirs from our team (Café Cup, Cap…)
- Tour price excludes:
- Medical insurance
- Bike damages
- Personal expense
Your booking is confirmed upon receipt of the deposit. To secure your reservation, we request a small deposit, typically ranging from 10% to 30% of the total tour cost
When you’re ready to book a tour, we will send you a secure payment link, allowing you to pay the required deposit using your credit cards (3,5% will be surcharged for the bank service fee)
The balance will be paid in full at our shop just before starting the tour. You can pay in cash (USD or Euro) or by credit card (3,5% will be surcharged for the bank fee if you pay by credit card)
Cancellation and Refund Policy
- The deposit was not refundable but you can postpone the booking to another time.
- No refunds in case of bad weather conditions and customers’ reasons. Tour may be delayed by adverse weather conditions, but we take no responsibility in case of tour cancellation
- If your bike has a technical brake down, we will replace it with the same type of bike and our guide/mechanic will attempt to fix your bike within a day. For technical reasons, your tour may be shortened, You will get a refund for the day you can’t finish
- If you need to cancel your booking, you have the option to postpone to another time or transfer it to another person. Please note that you will be responsible for any associated administration costs, and it is your responsibility to ensure that your nominee pays the full amount
Age Limitation and License Requirements:
Although we do not have a specific age limit or license requirement, Vietnam Motorbike Tour Expert do require all participants to be in good health, physically fit, and capable of riding a motorbike